Dear Energy Community Supporter,
Thank you for your continued interest in the Interagency Working Group on Coal and Power Plant Communities and Economic Revitalization (Energy Communities IWG) Director Updates. In addition to funding updates and deadlines, this edition features highlights of a recent White House event and more information on our upcoming webinar on the Inflation Reduction Act.
This Week: “What the Inflation Reduction Act Means for Energy Communities – Part 2” Webinar
The Energy Communities IWG is hosting the second webinar in our two-part webinar series highlighting Inflation Reduction Act programs that benefit energy communities this Friday, April 28 at 2 p.m. EDT.
The series provides energy communities with the information they need to better understand how they can benefit from specific programs within the Inflation Reduction Act. Join us to hear from federal officials from the U.S. Department of the Treasury, U.S. Department of Energy, and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
If you missed part one, watch the recording here.
#ICYMI: Federal Agencies Announce New Funding for Energy Communities at White House Event
Earlier this month, the Energy Communities IWG and senior federal officials gathered at the White House to announce additional investments through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and the Inflation Reduction Act to support fossil energy workers and spur long-term economic revitalization in energy communities.
Watch the livestream recording and access resources from the event here.
New Funding Opportunities & Announcements
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Releases Framework for Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund
The framework includes new details about the design of the $27 billion Inflation Reduction Act program, a first-of-its-kind, national-scale competitive grant program that will leverage public investment with private capital and finance clean energy projects.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Opens Broadband Technical Assistance Applications
The $20 million available through the Bipartisan Infrastructure law will support the growth or expansion of a broadband cooperative that would serve rural communities.
- U.S. Department of Labor Announces $44.2 Million in Workforce Opportunity for Rural Communities (WORC) Initiative Grants
The WORC initiative seeks to address persistent economic distress and create pathways to high-quality careers for people living or working in the Appalachian, Lower Mississippi Delta and Northern Border regions, helping them to remain and thrive in these communities.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Selects 17 Environmental Justice Thriving Communities Technical Assistance Centers
Each of the technical assistance centers will receive at least $10 million to remove barriers and improve accessibility for communities with environmental justice concerns.
- U.S. Department of Labor Makes Available $80 Million From Building Pathways to Infrastructure Jobs Grant Program
The grants will enable partners in the public and private sectors to develop or scale workforce training programs to prepare job seekers in advanced manufacturing, information technology, and other occupations that support renewable energy, transportation, and broadband infrastructure sectors.
Upcoming Funding Deadlines
The following funding opportunities have application deadlines coming up in the next four weeks and can all be found in the IWG’s online clearinghouse.
U.S. Department of Agriculture
- FY23 Equity in Conservation Outreach Cooperative Agreements Applications Due April 27
- Socially Disadvantaged Groups Grant Applications Due May 16
U.S. Department of Energy
- Hydrogen Shot Applications Due April 28
- Hydroelectric Production Incentives Applications Due May 8
- Large Wind Turbine Materials and Manufacturing Applications Due May 9
- Clean Energy Technology Deployment on Tribal Lands – 2023 Applications Due May 16
- Reducing Agricultural Carbon Intensity and Protecting Algal Crops FY23 Applications Due May 16
- Grid Resilience and Innovation Partnerships (GRIP) – FY22 and FY23 Applications Due May 19
- Carbon Capture Demonstration Projects Program Applications Due May 23
- Increasing Utilization and Reliability of Electric Infrastructure with Grid-enhancing technologies (GETs) Applications Due May 23
U.S. Department of Labor
- State Apprenticeship Expansion Formula Applications Due May 1
- Workforce Pathways for Youth Applications Due May 19
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Rural Emergency Medical Services (Rural EMS) Training Grant Program Applications Due May 1
- Transforming Lives Through Supported Employment Program Applications Due May 1
- Provider’s Clinical Support System – Medications for Opioid Use Disorder (FY 23) Applications Due May 8
- Rural Health Care Coordination Program Applications Due May 15
- Comprehensive Opioid Recovery Centers Applications Due May 16
- Community Economic Development Focus on Energy Communities Applications Due May 17
- Delta Health Systems Implementation Program Applications Due May 18
- Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinic Improvement and Advancement Grant Applications Due May 22
- Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinic Planning, Development, and Implementation Grant Applications Due May 22
- Health Careers Opportunity Program: The National HCOP Academies Applications Due May 24
U.S. Department of Transportation
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Events & Additional Resources
- Rural Workforce Innovation Network Workshop: Healthcare Workforce Program and Funding Opportunities
Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 2 – 3:30 p.m. EDT
Join the U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development and members of the Rural Workforce Innovation Network (RWIN) to learn about opportunities for rural healthcare workforce development.
- 40209 Readiness Technical Assistance Informational Webinar Registration
Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 3 p.m. EDT
Join this informational webinar to learn more about technical assistance being offered in support of Section 40209 of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL), the Advanced Energy Manufacturing and Recycling Grant Program.
- Energy Community Tax Credit Bonus Map
This mapping tool reflects currently available data on two types of potentially qualifying energy communities for the Inflation Reduction Act Energy Community Tax Credit Bonus.
- Coal Power Plant Redevelopment Visualization Tool
This tool identifies coal power plants that have been closed or set-to-retire, alongside key infrastructure characteristics that are relevant for potential redevelopment opportunities.
- Inflation Reduction Act Tribal Guidebook
This guidebook provides an overview of the clean energy, climate mitigation and resilience, agriculture, and conservation-related funding programs in the Inflation Reduction Act for which Tribes are eligible.
- Revitalizing Energy Communities: Two-Year Report to the President
Check out the Energy Communities IWG’s new public report, previewing the Administration’s path forward to ensure the nation sustains momentum in building a clean energy future made in America and powered by American workers.
- Resources from April 4 White House Event
Access critical resources and announcements from the Energy Communities IWG’s event at the White House this month.
On behalf of all IWG member agencies, thank you for your continued interest in programs that support people living and working in America’s energy communities. Please feel free to share this newsletter with others in your network who may benefit.
Brian J. Anderson, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Interagency Working Group on Coal and Power Plant Communities and Economic Revitalization
Director, National Energy Technology Laboratory
U.S. Department of Energy