Planned application window is expected from October 1 – December 31 each year.
- Educational Institution
- General Public
- Local Government
- Native/Tribal Entity
- Private Sector
- State Government
Reserved for Energy
What does this program do?
This program reduces or eliminates pollution of water resources by providing funding for organizations that provide technical assistance or training to improve the planning and management of solid waste sites.
Who may apply?
- Public bodies
- Federally recognized tribes
- Academic institutions
All applicants must have:
- Proven ability, background or experience to successfully complete a project similar to the one proposed
- Legal authority and capacity to provide technical assistance or training
What is an eligible area?
- Rural areas and towns with a population of 10,000 or less — check eligible addresses
- Special consideration may be given for projects serving:
- An area with fewer than 5,500 or fewer than 2,500 people;
- Regional, multi-state or national areas; or
- Lower-income populations.
What may the funds be used for?
- Evaluate current landfill conditions to identify threats to water resources.
- Provide technical assistance or training to enhance the operation and maintenance of active landfills.
- Provide technical assistance or training to help communities reduce the amount of solid waste coming into a landfill.
- Provide technical assistance or training to prepare for closure and future use of a landfill site.
These grants may not be used to:
- Duplicate current services, replace or substitute support previously provided, i.e., service already rendered by a consultant in developing a project.
- Duplicate assistance provided by the U.S. Forest Service.
- Pay for capital assets, real estate or vehicles.
- Pay for construction, operation or maintenance.
- Improve or renovate office space or repair or maintain private property.
- See 7 CFR 1775.5 for a complete list.
Are there terms for grants?
- This is a nationally competitive grant.
- Projects should be completed within 12 months.
- Grants are subject to the availability of funds.
Are matching funds required?
Matching funds are not required for this grant, however, applicant and in-kind contributions are recommended.