- Educational Institution
- Incorporated Consortia
- Native/Tribal Entity
- Private Sector
- State Government
- Health and Safety
- Transportation Infrastructure
Reserved for Energy
The FHWA hereby requests applications to result in awards to eligible entities to deploy, install, and operate advanced transportation technologies to improve safety, mobility, efficiency, system performance, intermodal connectivity, and infrastructure return on investment. These model deployments are expected to provide benefits in the form of:
• reduced traffic-related fatalities and injuries;
• reduced traffic congestion and improved travel time reliability;
• reduced transportation-related emissions;
• optimized multimodal system performance;
• improved access to transportation alternatives, including for underserved populations;
• improved integration of payment systems;
• public access to real-time integrated traffic, transit, and multimodal transportation information to make informed travel decisions;
• cost savings to transportation agencies, businesses, and the traveling public; or
• other benefits to transportation users and the general public.
(23 U.S.C. § 503(c)(4))
This competitive ATTAIN Program will promote the use of innovative transportation solutions. The deployment of these technologies will provide Congress and FHWA with valuable real-life data and feedback to inform future decision-making.
Up to $120 million ($60 million for FY 2023 and $60 million for FY 2024) is set aside per section 503(c)(4)(I) of Title 23, U.S.C., for the ATTAIN Program to fund grants under this NOFO. The amount of ATTAIN funding available for award and obligation is reduced from the authorized set-aside level based on the imposition of the Federal-aid Highway Program obligation limitation contained in each fiscal year’s annual appropriations act. The amount is also subject to a set-aside of up to $2 million for FHWA administrative expenses each fiscal year. For FY 2023, based on the obligation limitation calculations, the amount available for award is up to $52,680,000 prior to the administrative expenses set-aside (up to $50,680,000 with the full administrative expenses set-aside). The amount available for award for FY 2024 will be determined upon enactment of the FY 2024 annual appropriations act.