- Educational Institution
- Private Sector
- Energy Infrastructure
- Environmental Clean-up
Reserved for Energy
Concept Paper Submission Deadline: 12/18/2023 5:00 PM ET
The Industrial Efficiency and Decarbonization Office (IEDO) provides funding, management, and the strategic direction necessary for a balanced national program of research, development, and demonstration (RD&D), as well as technical assistance and workforce development, to drive improvements in energy, materials, and production efficiency and to accelerate decarbonization across the industrial sector. IEDO’s RD&D strategy focuses on two complementary approaches: tackling subsector-specific decarbonization challenges in energy- and emissions-intensive industries and pursuing cross-sector challenges that are common across many industries.
This notice is intended to announce a potential funding opportunity announcement (FOA) that will aim to advance the strategies identified in the Industrial Decarbonization Roadmap and support the goals of the Industrial Heat Shot through a focus on cross-sector approaches for industrial decarbonization. Cross-sector technologies are decarbonization- enabling components, equipment, and systems that underpin processes and products across the industrial sector. Key themes of IEDO’s strategy for cross-sector technologies include:
- Transforming electricity into useful industrial heat cost competitively and without putting undue stress on the grid;
- Developing combustion systems that enable fuel switching to hydrogen and other low- carbon fuels;
- Developing systems for the onsite production, storage, delivery, and recovery of energy;
- Reducing barriers to the integration of low-carbon electricity with industrial loads;
- Improving the energy efficiency of industrial processes; and
- Reducing the energy used for industrial water and wastewater treatment.
There are three topic areas in this FOA:
- Topic Area 1 – Electrification of Industrial Heat: Electrotechnologies (Area of Interest 1) and Industrial Heat Pumps (Area of Interest 2)
- Topic Area 2 – Efficient Energy Use in Industrial Systems: Advanced Membrane Separations (Area of Interest 1) and Industrial Heat Exchangers (Area of Interest 2)
- Topic Area 3 – Decarbonizing Organic Wastewater and Wet Waste Treatment
Related ResourcesAdditional information is available on the Resources page.
Total Amount Available:
Limit per Applicant:
Applicants must submit a Concept Paper by 5:00 p.m. ET on 12/18/2023 to be eligible to submit a Full Application.