- Educational Institution
- Local Government
- Native/Tribal Entity
- Public Utility Entity
Reserved for Energy
What does this program do?
This program assists rural small businesses and agricultural producers by conducting and promoting energy audits and providing Renewable Energy Development Assistance (REDA).
Who may apply for this program?
- State and local governments.
- Federally-recognized tribes.
- A land-grant college or university or other institutions of higher education.
- Rural electric cooperatives.
- Public power entities.
- An instrumentality of a state, tribal or local government.
- A Resource Conservation & Development Council (as defined in 16 USC §3451).
How may funds be used?
The assistance must be provided to agricultural producers and rural small businesses. Rural small businesses must be located in eligible rural areas. This restriction does not apply to agricultural producers. Assistance provided must consist of:
- Energy audits.
- Renewable energy technical assistance.
- Renewable energy site assessments.
Eligible project costs may include:
- Salaries directly related to the project.
- Travel expenses directly related to conducting energy audits or renewable energy development assistance.
- Office supplies.
- Administrative expenses, up to a maximum of 5 percent of the grant, which include but are not limited to utilities, office space, operation expenses of office and other project-related equipment.
Funds may NOT be used for:
- Payment for construction-related activities.
- Purchase or lease of equipment.
- Payment of judgments or debt owed the government.
- Goods or services provided by a person or entity who has a conflict of interest.
- Costs incurred by preparing an application package.
- Funding political or lobbying activities.
What are the grant terms?
Applicants must submit separate applications, limited to one energy audit and one Renewable Energy Development Assistance (REDA) per fiscal year. The maximum aggregate amount of an energy audit and REDA grant in a Federal fiscal year is $100,000.